Our opinion: Travelers is an established insurance company that has been in business for over 165 years. It offers flexible home insurance solutions with many possible discounts and excellent customer support.
- Coverage options
- Possible discounts
- Customer service
How did we calculate that?
- Getting a quote online is quick and easy.
- Travelers have many flexible coverage options.
- There are many ways to save and get discounts.
- The company offers thought leaders and insights to manage risk.
- A call center for addressing customers is available around the clock.
- Traveler home insurance is not available in all states.
About the household contents insurance for travelers
Travelers is an insurance company that has existed for more than 165 years, providing insurance solutions for individuals and companies. The company has over 30,000 employees and 13,500 independent agents and brokers operating in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Ireland.
Traveler home insurance is one of many insurance products that the company sells. This insurance product covers all repairs or replacements of your house or your belongings in the house.
States that offer home insurance for travelers
Household contents insurance for travelers is offered in all US states except Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, and West Virginia.
What does it cover?
Household contents insurance protects your house and your belongings in the event of loss or damage. Household contents insurance for travelers covers risks such as:
- Weight of ice, snow or sleet
- HVAC equipment freezing
Household contents insurance usually has several types of coverage, limits and deductibles.
This vital coverage covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding the physical structure of the home in the event of threats such as fire, storms, or theft. Your specific coverage limits are based on the estimated cost of rebuilding the home. These costs would take into account any upgrades or home improvement that you may have added to your home.
Covering other structures
This type of cover protects other buildings on your property, such as outdoor garages, sheds or fences.
Personal property protection
Personal property insurance protects your property, including furniture, electronics, clothing, and sporting goods. Some personal property policies cover personal effects anywhere in the world, not just your home.
Travelers cover personal loss of property based on the actual present value at the time of loss, i.e. the reasonable repair or replacement cost less any depreciation. The company has a replacement cost option that is paid based on the current market price for the item to be replaced.
Loss of use protection
This type of cover will protect you if you cannot stay home while the repairs are being carried out. This is also known as additional cost of living coverage and covers other reasonable housing and living costs. Typical examples are temporary accommodation such as a hotel, public transport, animal boarding or reasonable meals.
In addition, Travelers pays you the market-based imputed rental value for any loss of rent due to covered damage to your rental property. It is important to note that this coverage does not pay you for expenses for which you were already responsible, such as: B. Your mortgage or insurance; This coverage protects you from additional costs.
Personal liability insurance
Personal liability insurance protects you financially if there are claims for personal injury or property damage for which you or someone else in your home are legally responsible. Travel policies typically cover claims such as medical bills for a visitor’s injury, legal expenses, and personal injury or property damage caused by negligence on your part or even your pets.
Travelers home insurance is flexible and you can add any of the following to your policy:
- Special protection for personal property
- Assumption of costs for the replacement of private property
- Additional replacement cost protection
- Jewelry and valuables
- Floater for personal items
- Water reserve and sump pump drain or overflow
- Identity fraud
- Green house reporting
Types of discounts
Travelers offers a variety of ways to save on home insurance. Here you can see the discounts available.
- Multi-policy discount
Travelers is currently offering a discount when you bundle multiple types of insurance. By bundling your motor vehicle and household contents insurance, you can save up to 10% on motor vehicle insurance, for example.
- Discount for protection devices
With this discount you can save by owning devices such as smoke detectors, fire alarms, indoor sprinkler systems, home security systems or smart home technology.
- Green Home Discount
Travelers also receive a 5% discount if their home has been certified as a “green home” by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design organization.
- Home Buyer Discount
You can take advantage of the home buyer discount if you have bought your home within 12 months.
- Lossless discount
Eligible customers who have not suffered a loss within a specified time period may qualify for additional discounts.
The Travelers website is well organized and easy to use. The company has insights and a FAQs page on easy self-service on the website. Additionally, there’s the MyTravelers app, available for iOS and Android, for more self-service options for paying your bill, filing and tracking claims, and more.
If you need more personal assistance, the company has several phone numbers you can call for quotes, help with billing or insurance issues, file a claim, check the status of a claim, or provide technical assistance or roadside assistance Receive. You can also send inquiries by email.
In addition, the company offers a customer service that is available to you 24 hours a day.
FAQ on household insurance for travelers
Here are the answers to some common questions about home insurance for travelers.
- What does the home insurance cover?
- Typical home insurance covers the structure of your home, other structures such as sheds, personal items, additional living expenses, personal liability and legal fees, and options for additional coverage for things like valuables.
- How much apartment coverage do I need?
- A licensed insurance broker can help you determine exactly how much coverage you need, but generally speaking, your coverage is determined by the estimated cost of rebuilding your home.
- What discounts are there?
- Travelers offers you several discount options, including the bundling of several policies, security systems or fire protection devices, smart home technologies, “green home” certification, lossless history and more.
- What is a deductible?
- The deductible is the amount of the claim for which you are responsible. The amount of the deductible varies depending on the policy. For example, if your deductible is $ 500, you will pay the first $ 500 of your insured entitlement.
About the author
Scott Jeffries is a seasoned technology professional based in Florida. He writes on business, technology, digital marketing, and personal finance.
After completing his bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems with a minor in Business, Scott worked in the technology industry for 15 years. He has helped startups and Fortune 100 companies bring software products to life. When he’s not writing or developing software, Scott can be found reading or hanging out with his kids.